File fransfer from iPad to FreeBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Feb 16 10:34:55 UTC 2018

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 11:03:45 +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Friday, February 16, 2018 a las 10:47:03AM +0100, Polytropon escribió:
>
> > I also fully understand that Apple doesn't want me to be able
> > to easily transfer files from (or to) the iPad except with
> > their tools, but I don't care what Apple wants. That's why
> > the "recommended solutions" don't work for me because:
> >
> > 1. I won't buy a Mac.
> >
> > 2. I won't buy a new PC plus a license of "Windows".
> >
> > 3. I won't give out any personal identification information
> >    to Apple or MICROS~1 in order to "register".
> >
> > 4. I won't register at a "cloud" storage provider.
> >
> > So please no suggestions to "just" use iTunes.
>
> My suggestion:
>
> Don't use an iPhone.

This is not an option as the iPad (!) does already exist and
it has photos on it which should be transfered to a FreeBSD
system. Being able to transfer files _to_ the device (like
PDF files to read) would be a nice bonus, but for the current
problem, this is out of scope.

Sure, I know, I could e-mail 1 - 3 photos from the iPad to
an account I can access with a normal computer (IMAP or POP3
using a MUA like Thunderbird, or plain old fetchmail), but
due to the amount of images and the disability to send several
hundred MB in one message, this just isn't feasable.

> Use an OpenSource mobile like UPports running
> Ubuntu, see https://forums.ubports.com/ , or Purism's librem-5, see
> https://puri.sm/posts/librem5-progress-report-4/
>
> I have the first one since 2015 (and you just SSH into it) and ordered
> the 2nd one too.

This is what I would _personally_ do (first think, then buy),
but this doesn't change the problem at hand. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany