A question about graphics subsystems under FreeBSD

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Tue Dec 25 22:08:18 UTC 2018

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 11:29:07 -0700
Gary Aitken <freebsd at dreamchaser.org> wrote:

> On 12/25/18 1:21 AM, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 17:13:46 -0700 Gary Aitken
> > <freebsd at dreamchaser.org> wrote:
> >
> >> There are a boatload of additional radeonkmsfw_*.ko modules in
> >> /boot, but I don't know how they are used.  My attempt to use a
> >> radeon 5550 board hung the system (11.2) on exit; haven't had time
> >> to look at it.
> >
> > The right ones are loaded automatically by the main radeonkms driver
> > - at least that's what happens with the amdgpu one. You almost
> > certainly need to compile the drm-kmod port to get things working -
> > installing the package is a recipe for panics IME.
>
> Thanks.  Updating says:
>
>    20180930:
>    A metaport, graphics/drm-kmod, was introduced for users of both the
> LinuxKPI- based DRM components as well as the legacy ones. It is
> recommended to use the metaport from now on, which will select a
> recommended DRM version based on the FreeBSD version.
>
> Attempting to build it on my 11.2 says:
>       ===>>> This port is marked IGNORE
>       ===>>> requires kernel source files in /usr/src

	You will need to install the kernel sources to build the port.

> But one needs to read Makefile to see what, if anything, is actually
> required. 11.2 is marked IGNORE, although it specifies
>    RUN_DEPENDS=   ${KMODDIR}/drm.ko:graphics/drm-stable-kmod

	Yes it will build that on 11.2 and the firmware.

> I do not have drm-stable-kmod installed, nor gpu-firmware-kmod on which
> drm-stable-kmod depends.  Given the RUN_DEPENDS, it seems like the IGNORE
> might be a bug.

	Not a bug, simply a reflection that you need the kernel sources to
build it, install the kernel sources and try again.

> scanning pkg-plist in all ports comes up empty for amdgpu_dri

	Yep.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun