ZFS and group quotas

Carmel NY carmel_ny at outlook.com
Tue Dec 18 17:43:20 UTC 2018

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 18:09:33 +0100, Philipp Vlassakakis stated:

>> On 18. Dec 2018, at 17:33, Carmel NY <carmel_ny at outlook.com> wrote:
>>
>> I want to eliminate a quota limit for a group. I found this documentation.
>>    groupquota at group=size | none
>>
>> So, if I were to enter:
>>    zfs groupquota at 1001=none
>>
>> I assume that would remove any restrictions. Is this a permanent setting or
>> do I have to reenter it on every bootup?

>Hi,
>
>It should be:
>zfs set groupquota at 1001=none <device>
>
>Instead of „set“ you can also use „get“ to receive the current value (none
>or 100G for example)
>
>zfs get groupquota at 1001 <device>
>
>Yes, this change js permanent and will „survive“ a reboot.
>
>Regards
>Philipp

Okay, here is the problem. I have a Windows 10 machine that is doing regular
backups and placing them on my FreeBSD machine running samba version 48. This
backup creates numerous directories under the designated directory in my home
directory.

Error message, omiting the date and time stuff:

[smbd[some number]" failed to get quota for group ID 1001 on {{at this point
any of several paths are listed}}

Is there some way to use a wild card entry to include them all, like this:

	zfs set groupquota at 1001=none ~/backup*

--
Carmel