FreeBSD 12.0 or 11.2

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Sat Dec 15 23:01:52 UTC 2018

> On 15 December 2018, at 05:08, starikarp at yandex.com wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> I did change hard drive with bad condition with the SSD drive and I am
> ready for the new install of FreeBSD which I am using on the desktop
> computer which is iMac.
> On the FreeBSD forum are many complains about new 12.0 release and I am
> not sure if is safe to install it or install the 11.2 which worked for
> me all the time.

That depends on how you are using it.  12.0 is a major system upgrade.  There are a number of changes in various parts of the system.  This is normal for a major system upgrade.  It can make it a bit difficult if you have lots of your own code and it relies on something that has changed.  The defaults for openssl have changed, and basename_r has been eliminated.  My code was relying on both of those.  I have had to make changes.  Figuring out the cause of the problems does take some effort.  It's not seamless.  However, the base system seems to be quite stable.  I have been beating it about since it came out and have not seen any issues other than the deliberate changes.  It would be nice if all those changes were documented, but I suspect that document would be so long no one would have the time to read it anyway.  You are going to have to go to 12 sometime.  You can kick the can down the road a bit and hope you have more time available then to deal with any issues.  However, in my experience that doesn't work.  I never have more time down the road.

-- Doug