freebsd or linux

Alejandro Imass aimass at yabarana.com
Mon Dec 10 20:20:18 UTC 2018

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 1:08 PM James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions <
freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sun, December 9, 2018 20:13, The Doctor wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 09, 2018 at 11:06:55PM +0200, Ivan Klymenko wrote:
> >> ?? Mon, 10 Dec 2018 00:18:50 +0330
> >> mehdi <mehdideveloper1370 at gmail.com> ??????????:

> >> FreeBSD is Operating System.
> >> Linux is kernel.
> >
> > FreeBSD uses a 4.4BSD Kernel NOT a LinSuck kernel!
> >

> What is this?  The troll before Christmas?

LOL.

Along those lines...  why did NeXT then-to-be OS X decide on Mach ? Anybody
know the history on this? I have always wondered 1) who decided to use
FreeBSD as the base OS (I'm guessing the licensing played a big part of the
decision) , 2) Why Mach, 3) Why Objective C. Not that I agree or disagree
with the choices just curious if the story of how/who chose these things
for NeXT and if this story ever went public anywhere...

Best,
Alex