Advice on backups

Ruben mail at osfux.nl
Thu Dec 6 20:50:59 UTC 2018

Hi Paul,

On 12/6/18 7:07 PM, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On December 6, 2018 at 9:36:32 AM +0100 Ruben <mail at osfux.nl> wrote:
>

> One of the servers I manage runs zfs, but I confess the technology is a
> mystery to me. I tried and failed to wrap my head around using it for
> backups.

Snipped

There is excellent documentation available online. Apart from that,
there are 2 excellent and affordable books on the subject :

https://www.tiltedwindmillpress.com/product/fmzfs/
https://www.tiltedwindmillpress.com/product/fmaz/

They cover the everything you might want to know (and a lot more...) and
are fun to read.

Snipped

>> Also, are you only using apache data? A lot of webservers are running
>> with stuff like Mysql / Elasticsearch "nowadays".
>>
> I use mysql, and I've been backing up the dbs to Dropbox for quite a
> while now. I do not use Elasticsearch.

Seems you have that covered then :)

Regards,

Ruben