can't copy files >= 1M to NFS share

Carson Chittom carson at wistly.net
Thu Dec 6 02:04:55 UTC 2018

I've got an 11.2 system acting as my media server. I'm successfully exporting the directory which contains the media files via NFS, so that
they're accessible on my workstation, which is running Windows 10 Pro. I can read the files fine from the Windows machine using the built-in
Microsoft NFS client, and I can create directories, new files, and so forth from the Windows machine in the share.

The issue is that I can't copy any files greater than or equal to 1M from the Windows system to the NFS share.  I confirmed this by using dd
to create a file which is 1023k, which I was able to copy, and one which is 1024k, which I was not.  I get the same behavior whether I try to
drag-and-drop into the NFS share, copy-and-paste, or using "copy" in the Windows Command Prompt.  The error that Windows immediately gives me is
"Error 0x8007045D: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."  (And again, I *don't* get this error if the file is under 1M.)

I've done some web searches, and there's a fair amount of that particular error code--but nothing that I saw seemed directly relevant
(mostly about timeouts...but I'm getting the error immediately).  Maybe I'm just bad at Google.

My /etc/exports is unexceptional, literally just the line:

/usr/local/plexdata -mapall=plex

Unfortunately, I don't have another system to hand to test mounting the share.  So at this point, I'm not sure where to poke. Is this something I
can address from the FreeBSD side?  A limitation of the Windows NFS client?  Some unfortunate combination of them?

If anybody can point me in the right direction, I'd be appreciative.