Alternative to x11/gnome3 ?

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Wed Aug 8 17:15:50 UTC 2018

Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 23:37:22 +0700
> Victor Sudakov <vas at mpeks.tomsk.su> wrote:

> > > 	You can use startx and Ctrl-Alt-Fn in Linux to do this, at least
> > > you could last time I used Linux and X.
> >
> > You can but nobody does because it's inconvenient and contraintuitive
> > for the majority of users.
>
> 	I suspect I'm in a minority on FreeBSD too, but I find it handier.

My wife always gets confused whether her X session is already running
(and she should look for it by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F9, Ctrl-Alt-F10
until she eventually finds it) or she has to start a new one.

Several times she has run startx from a text session, then got
confused where her vt was and tried to run another startx... As I said,
contraintuitive.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
AS43859