Erase memory on shutdown

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Aug 6 13:50:31 UTC 2018

On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 21:31:03 -0500 (CDT), Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> Yes, it was repeated forever that security begins with physical security.
> And repeating again what my friend likes to say: nothing can stop the guy
> wit the screwdriver. Not quite true, but pretty close.

In this context, even encrypted partitions sometimes don't help.

Things that actually have happened:

1.

A thief stole the server of a small business. They had encryption
in place, and because their HPC told them that keys should be used,
they stored keys on a USB stick that was put in the font USB
connector of the server, because their HPC said it was very
convenient to do so, as the server found the keys when booting
and could then enable access to the encrypted disk.

GAME OVER.

2.

A group of theves stole the whole server rack, including the
UPS units, attached them to a power generator in their van,
drove it to the "extraction site" which had regular power,
re-attached regular power, and copied everything from the
still running system without being hit by any "please enter
the password" dialogs.

GAME OVER.

The guy with the screwdriver usually wins. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany