audiophile sound on FreeBSD ?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed Apr 25 20:08:57 UTC 2018

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 21:51:40 +0200, AikiZen wrote:
>I have this usb audio
>card : https://www.thomann.de/fr/presonus_audiobox_usb_96.htm?ref=search_prv_3
>
>It's the good card ?

I don't know this very cheap prosumer audio device. I once tested the
Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL. The 1818VSL seems to be a quite good usable
audio interface for home recording, but it's also a prosumer audio
device. It's quite possible to do professional recordings with a
prosumer audio interface, but with the exception, that you are unable
to estimate fine nuances. I compared the 1818VSL with the professional
RME card's IOs and with a prosumer ADA8000 IOs. I suspect an audiophile
person expects professional audio quality + esoteric humbug. Those
prosumer devices are good enough for most users, but they definitively
don't provide the audio quality of a RME card and this isn't esoteric
humbug.