Problems With Running Firefox Under Xfce

Gary Aitken freebsd at dreamchaser.org
Fri Apr 20 03:58:14 UTC 2018

On 04/19/18 21:04, B J wrote:
> I've got the current version of Xfce installed on an older HP laptop.
> Unfortunately, the latest version of Firefox is proving to be a major
> headache.
>
> Ever since the "new and improved" FF was introduced, I've been
> unimpressed with its performance.  Tabs often crash, if they even load
> at all.  On top of that, every time I open a new tab or window, I end
> up with several FF processes running simultaneously.
>
> The final straw came this morning when I had problems with accessing
> the Internet.  The cause, it seemed, was a router on its last legs.  I
> obtained a Cisco DPC3825 modem/router from the Internet service and
> I've been having a terrible time with it.
>
> It seems that the Internet service has been dropping out about every
> hour or so today, which isn't entirely surprising.  We've been having
> some spring weather for the past few days and it seems that each year
> at this time, the Internet service becomes wobbly.  (That also happens
> whenever there's a major downpour during the summer.)
>
> Whenever that happened, I switch off the power to the modem/router,
> let it set for a minute or so, and then switch it on again.  It often
> takes several minutes for access to be restored.  The only problem is
> that my laptop can't make a connection while my older iMac can.
>
> I've run bsdconfig each time and it appears that the network interface
> is enabled, but that doesn't help with the laptop.  It seems that the
> only way I can restore access is to reboot the machine and that is
> rather a nuisance.  When I had a separate modem and router, that never
> happened.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions to resolve this?  Thank you.

I used to have a similar sort of problem, not exactly the same.
Rather than rebooting, have you tried re-initing or re-starting just the
appropriate processes?  As I recall, I usually got my situation resolved
by re-establishing my firewall rules using "sh ipfw_rules" or something
like that.  I never did figure out why it was dropping out, but it
happened under similar circumstances.

Gary