How To Update From 9.1?

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Wed Apr 11 14:38:10 UTC 2018

On 4/10/2018 10:18 PM, Doug Hardie wrote:
>> On 10 April 2018, at 18:24, Drew Tomlinson <drew at mykitchentable.net> wrote:
>>
>> I've got an old system I'm trying to get current.
>>
>> # uname -a
>> FreeBSD vm.mykitchentable.net 9.1-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p1 #0: Tue May  9 09:19:33 PDT 2017     drew at vm.mykitchentable.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>>
>> So I consult the handbook and various list posts and find that I should be able to use freebsd-update.  Specifically I've done:
>>
>> I've tried deleting /var/db/freebsd-update and doing the 'fetch install' over.  I've tried deleting /usr/src and downloading a new copy of 9.3 source code.
>>
>> Overall, I really don't know what I need to do as I've never done a binary update before.  I don't even know if 'src/src' looks reasonable but I thought I'd give it a try.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I'd appreciate the nudge.
> This is a common issue for 9 and earlier systems.  I understand it may also affect some 10s.  Basically there are some patches available in various postings to bug reports.  If you find both of them, it should work, but you have to manually update as line numbers are not consistent.  The easier approach is probably to get a copy of freebsd-update from a newer system.  It's a script so that works fine.  I have used the script from 11.0 to upgrade some 9.x systems.
>
> -- Doug

Thank you for your reply.  I grabbed a copy of freebsd-update from an
11.1 system that I have and copied it to /usr/sbin/freebsd-update.
However, no joy.  After deleting the contents of /var/db/freebsd-update,
I did the following:

---BEGIN---
# freebsd-update fetch install
src component not installed, skipped
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching public key from update6.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE from update6.freebsd.org...
done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Fetching 2 metadata files... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

No updates needed to update system to 9.1-RELEASE-p24.

WARNING: FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p1 HAS PASSED ITS END-OF-LIFE DATE.
Any security issues discovered after Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 PST 2014
will not have been corrected.

  # freebsd-update -r 9.3-RELEASE upgrade
src component not installed, skipped
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org...
done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Fetching 1 metadata files... done.
Inspecting system... done.

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

Fetching metadata signature for 9.3-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org...
done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Fetching 1 metadata patches. done.
Applying metadata patches... done.
Fetching 1 metadata files... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

No updates needed to update system to 9.3-RELEASE-p53.
touch:
f465c3739385890c221dff1a05e578c6cae0d0430e46996d319db7439f884336-install/kernelfirst:
No such file or directory
To install the downloaded upgrades, run "/usr/sbin/freebsd-update install".

---END---

I got similar results when attempting to go to 10.4-RELEASE as well.
Any other ideas?  Or is my best bet at this point to just build the
GENERIC kernel from source?  If so, can I go straight to 11.1 and
recompile all my ports?  Or should I take some intermediate steps?

Thanks for your help,

Drew

--
Like card tricks?