Restoring sc console look and feel with vt

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Sep 16 16:58:18 UTC 2017

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 02:21:51 +1000 (EST), Ian Smith wrote:
> Are you sure there's no way to use sc(4) with X on 10.3?

The reason why I switched to vt was exactly that reason: with sc
in place, X wouldn't start anymore. This happened at some point
during the "updating trail" of 10.1 -> 10.3 with ports updated
(via pkg). Something that worked for months suddenly stopped
working, which always is a terrible experience. When I switched
to vt in the loader, X worked again as it did before.

> We saw lots
> about getting proper console switching going (again) using vt and X on
> the stable@ list on earlier 10.x, but I can't recall any details, since
> sc still works fine on my 9.3 (amd64) system, where vt(4) first became
> available, including proper suspend/resume support from ttyvN or from X.

That is a different problem. Until you start X, sc works perfectly
fine. Even in a setting where "sc + startx" is working, shutting
down the X session or switching using e. g. Ctrl+Alt+F1 leaves you
with a console that works, but without visible text ("blind console").
With vt, at least this problem is gone, even though the console now
is visible only with the tiniest letters.

> But that's using a much older X (and everything else), so I wouldn't
> want to lend you any false hope at this stage ..

Never touch a running system. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany