How to repair a package

DTD doug at safeport.com
Tue Sep 5 19:11:35 UTC 2017

On Tue, 5 Sep 2017, DTD wrote:

>> On Tue, 5 Sep 2017, Adam Vande More wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 12:48 PM, DTD <doug at safeport.com> wrote:
>>>   Between shutdown and reboot starting xdm gets:
>>>       Shared object "libXmu.so.6" not found, required by "xdm"
>>>   and starting startxfce4:
>>>       Shared object "libX11.so.6" not found, required by "xinit"
>>>
>>> libX11.so.6 is a module in libXScrnSaver. So after seeing if I could find
>>> libX11.so.6 on another system and not finding an option in "pkg
>>> delete" that would delete only libXScrnSaver and not the 40 other related
>>> packages I tried "pkg fetch" and "pkg install -f" on the txz file. That
>>> gets a Segmentation fault.
>>>
>>>  Do I have any options other than starting over?
>>>
>>> Are you mixing ports and packages?  It's best to avoid that if you aren't
>>> familiar with the
>>> complexities.
>>>
>>> Try a pkg update -y
>>
>> Thanks, been using FreeBSD as a workstation since 3.5. All packages except
>> for a few python ones. Clearly this does not matter. "pkg update -y" is
>> almost guaranteed to hose the system because of the mozilla interlocking
>> dependencies with xfce, gimp and the like. I will try that eventually but I
>> was hoping for a smaller hammer.
>>
>> To the powers that be, an option on delete that says do only the single one
>> would be really cool. That said, this is a fairly old system. Disks have
>> been known to fail with these symptoms, but I can not find any evidence of
>> this so far.
>
> When I read and responded I assumed you meant 'pkg upgrade' not update. I
> will read and research the latter. In any case upgrade will not work because
> apparently libXScrnSaver is up to date, broken but up to date. Anyway I
> answered a bit too fast. Looking, thanks.

Okay from pkg help upgrade:
   ...However, explicitly running pkg update is not normally necessary.  By
      default invoking either of pkg install or pkg upgrade will cause repository
      catalogues to be updated automatically, unless disabled by setting
      REPO_AUTOUPDATE to false in pkg.conf(5).

I find nothing via google or questions to suggest anything beyond this. This is
a 10.3 system BTW. Differences in 11.x??

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
doug at safeport.com