How to repair a package

DTD doug at safeport.com
Tue Sep 5 18:43:19 UTC 2017

On Tue, 5 Sep 2017, DTD wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Sep 2017, Adam Vande More wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 12:48 PM, DTD <doug at safeport.com> wrote:
>>   Between shutdown and reboot starting xdm gets:
>>       Shared object "libXmu.so.6" not found, required by "xdm"
>>   and starting startxfce4:
>>       Shared object "libX11.so.6" not found, required by "xinit"
>>
>>  libX11.so.6 is a module in libXScrnSaver. So after seeing if I could find
>>  libX11.so.6 on another system and not finding an option in "pkg
>>  delete" that would delete only libXScrnSaver and not the 40 other related
>>  packages I tried "pkg fetch" and "pkg install -f" on the txz file. That gets
>>  a Segmentation fault.
>>
>>  Do I have any options other than starting over?
>>

>> Are you mixing ports and packages?  It's best to avoid that if you aren't
>> familiar with the
>> complexities.
>>
>> Try a pkg update -y
>
> Thanks, been using FreeBSD as a workstation since 3.5. All packages except
> for a few python ones. Clearly this does not matter. "pkg update -y" is
> almost guaranteed to hose the system because of the mozilla interlocking
> dependencies with xfce, gimp and the like. I will try that eventually but I
> was hoping for a smaller hammer.
>
> To the powers that be, an option on delete that says do only the single one
> would be really cool. That said, this is a fairly old system. Disks have been
> known to fail with these symptoms, but I can not find any evidence of this so
> far.

When I read and responded I assumed you meant 'pkg upgrade' not update. I will
read and research the latter. In any case upgrade will not work because
apparently libXScrnSaver is up to date, broken but up to date. Anyway I answered
a bit too fast. Looking, thanks.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com