Sector-size and advanced format (4k) disks

Louie Cardone-Noott lcn at fastmail.net
Tue Sep 5 18:20:52 UTC 2017

Hi Trond,

Thanks for your reply.

On 05/09/2017 14:06, Trond Endrestøl wrote:
> Changing the sector size is not recommended according to newfs(8): ...

Indeed, I guess it's *really* not recommended to deviate from 512 B
sector size then...

> Maybe Dr. McKusick's lectures can enlighten you to make a wise choice:
>
> Keynote Address: A Brief History of the BSD Fast Filesystem (FAST '15)
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMjgShRuYbg

This is interesting. At 50.00 he implies that using a 32 k blocksize, 4
k fragment-size, and 512 B sector-size is the 'right' way to use a
modern HDD.

Based on the above I suppose my assumption that the sector-size should
match the HDD physical sector size was wrong. Pretending that the
sectors are still 512 B, while making everything align to 4 k, and
letting the HDD do its magic seems to be best.

Louie