Fun with HAST and inter-host connections

Frank Leonhardt frank2 at fjl.co.uk
Sat Sep 2 14:23:00 UTC 2017

On 01/09/2017 09:58, Uwe Laverenz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 31.08.2017 um 16:41 schrieb Frank Leonhardt:
>
>> The problem with link aggregation is that you need lots of 1Gb
>> Ethernet cards and run out PCI slots pretty quickly. Or are you
>> suggesting
>
> Not necessarily, you could use PCIe cards with 2 or 4 ports.
>
>> multiple targets bound to a particular interface? Not a bad idea, but
>
> Yes, multiple networks, one target per network, round robin policy.
>
>> The PCIe is also going to be a bottleneck, but I'm ignoring this for
>> now.
>
> Are you sure? PCIe 3.0 supports 985MB/s on x1.
>
>> What I really want is the fastest way to connect to boxes using IP
>> (preferably).
>
> Then 10Gb/s ethernet would probably be the best option IMHO.

That's what I thought, but 10G is expensive and no fun. I've got my PCIe
slots full of HBAs and no space for multiple Ethernet, and it'd take 10+
x 1G ports to match 1x10G. I've experimented with 2-port cards; 4-port
cards are usually a bit pricey (apart from some Realtek ones).

I wonder if you can still get duel-ported RAM? (And I did think of using
nearline drives, before anyone suggests that).

The $30 USB 3.1 cards look the most fun right now. (And yes, PCI is a
bottleneck because I'm using old motherboards for experimentation). :-(

Regards, Frank.