When is a FreeBSD port not a port?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 27 12:16:41 UTC 2017

On 27/10/2017 12:13, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
> I've written a "few" utilities over the years that I've made available
> in various places, but it might make sense to put them in
> ports/sysutils. However, they were written on BSD and are therefore not
> ports.
>
> Should I submit them anyway (if I find time to clean them up, of
> course)? Or if not, any (polite) suggestions as to where I should put
> them? I don't use GitHub or SourceForge (too old to change my ways, and
> I normally work off-line anyway).
>
> e.g. http://www.fjl.co.uk/free-stuff

By all means, please do submit your FreeBSD specific code as a "port".
There's precedent -- various ports for periodic jobs or other
FreeBSD-ish things.  We aren't hung up on the precise meaning of "ports"
-- it's really a collection of software handily prepared to compile
easily and (increasingly so over time) be made available as pre-compiled
binary packages.

	Cheers,

	Matthew