How to recover data from dead hard drive.

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Oct 19 09:49:05 UTC 2017

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 09:57:53 +0100, Frank Leonhardt (m) wrote:
> The worst thing is when someone plugs a  drive in and
> Windoze pops up a message offering to repair it.

That's true. In such cases, the MFT or FAT (depending on
file system) can seriously get messed up, and this causes
a long and complicated recovery session - often worse
that what you could achieve with not "repairing" it.

I've had that case a few times where "important business
data" had to be rescued. With one "repaired" USB stick,
it required a few days (!) just to get the image, and
lots of hours for getting the data back and _sorting_
it (as any directory information already had been
"repaired" into oblivion. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany