Redirection in websites

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 13:00:18 UTC 2017

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 19:43:05 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> Something strange is going on when I try to visit a website.  I type
>> www.duckduckgo.com in the address bar, and instead of getting duckduckgo, I
>> see google.  I do the same but visting www.yandex.com, and I get google.com.
>
> Interestingly, I have seen this strange behaviour on tablets
> and on smartphones (in their respective web browsers); it also
> happens when you enter an IP, for example 192.168.100.1 (to
> connect to a Fritz!Box) - and you get Google search results.
> This must be some "helpful modern setting"...
I run a ping yandex.com and I get

[austrumi@ ~]$ ping www.yandex.com
PING www.yandex.com (213.180.204.62) 56(84) bytes of data.
but it stays there and does not get more hits, I type the full address
and I get a censorship page from the school.  See page attached if
permitted by school.
The other pages do the same.

> What web browser[austrumi@ ~]$ ping www.yandex.com
PING www.yandex.com (213.180.204.62) 56(84) bytes of data.
are you using?

Using mozilla-firefox and/or firefox-esr because I need java plugin
for school stuff.

>> Some of my friends say that it is a conspiracy, 1984 by George Orwell is
>> happening.
>
> It's happening all the time, and nobody cares.
This is real sad, but what can one do, if the people do not care that
their rights are being taken away by others.

>> I am a mathematics teacher and our network at school is not
>> behaving normally.
>
> School networks hardly do, because their administration suffers
> from a severe lack of professionals. :-)
>

>> I asked kindly to administrators to open some
>> opensource sites, and some pages which were rated unknown by the software.
>> But,  I cannot do normal things like update my machines because someone
>> believes I am downloading illegal materials/files.
>
> "Believe" is the "know" of the stupid ones. :-)
>

>> Is there a way to
>> configure tor network on my amd64 bit machine to bypass these troubles?  I
>> am not doing anything wrong but I don't feel good not updating my machines
>> and that redirection is also not good.
>
> As lomng as HTTPS traffic isn't blocked in general, that would
> probably be possible. Tunneling via "fake HTTP" would also be
> possible (except they have strict whitelisting in place).
>

>> If tor is not viable, are there any wireless broadband providers that
>> respect the user's freedom, then I can get one device and connect from it
>> to access the sites that I need also update my machines.
>
> You can use your private smartphone to connect to the Internet,
> and connect your computer via WLAN to the smartphone. That will
> be slow, but you are independent from your local network.
This may be my only option, but the connections in school from cell
phone are not very strong :(

> Adding a USB stick with a LTE connection is also possible.
>

>> Friends tell me
>> that such companies do not exist.  I hope that is not the case.
>
> There are no such "companies per se", but you can do it on
> your own (with the help of the companies who sell you the
> devices needed).
>

> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

I switched my startup page to duckduckgo.com, but no matter what I do
I still get google.com.
I will have to be careful with what I do from now on.

Best Regards,

Antonio