Redirection in websites

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Fri Oct 13 12:34:41 UTC 2017

On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 11:43:03 +0200
Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 19:43:05 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > Something strange is going on when I try to visit a website.  I type
> > www.duckduckgo.com in the address bar, and instead of getting
> > duckduckgo, I see google.  I do the same but visting www.yandex.com,
> > and I get google.com.
>
> Interestingly, I have seen this strange behaviour on tablets
> and on smartphones (in their respective web browsers); it also
> happens when you enter an IP, for example 192.168.100.1 (to
> connect to a Fritz!Box) - and you get Google search results.
> This must be some "helpful modern setting"...

	A common arrangement these days is that the URL bar is also a
search box which will often return the first hit as a page but not always
(the algorithm is not clear to me). Giving a full URL complete with the
http:// goes direct everything else is search assisted.

> > Some of my friends say that it is a conspiracy, 1984 by George Orwell is
> > happening.
>
> It's happening all the time, and nobody cares.

	Most browsers let you change the search engine used in the URL bar
(some are stubborn), I have mine set to startpage.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>