Screen Saver under FreeBSD 11.1

Thomas Mueller mueller6722 at twc.com
Sun Oct 8 08:10:37 UTC 2017

from Manish Jain:

> On 10/05/17 18:32, Eduardo Lemos de Sa wrote:
> > I have used FreeBSD 11.1 (release/amd64) since some months. Everything
> > seems to working good, but I couldn't find a way get screensaver working. I
> > added into my /etc/rc.conf:

> > saver="blank"
> > blanktime="120"

> > rebooted several times, but simply it did not work. Under X11, I could have
> > xscreensaver working (and to reinforce security, I am working under X11
> > enviroment to have screen locked). Please, could you give some advise to
> > solve this?

> > Thanks in advance

> > My best regards

> > Eduardo

> Getting the saver to work in console mode is difficult nowadays -
> perhaps even impossible.

> The only way you can get saver to work in console mode is to add this to
> /boot/loader.conf and reboot :

> kern.vty=sc

> The default console driver under 11.x is vt. If you use sc, your saver
> will begin to work, but then X will refuse to start (happens under
> 10.3/11.0). If you manage to get it to work under 11.1 - good luck !

Same symptoms occur with NetBSD with DRMKMS, which is their name for vt or newcons.

I can only guess it would occur with Linux too and would not fight it.

X will not start from sc in FreeBSD or NetBSD.

I have wondered if console screensaver could be made to work with vt or DRMKMS, but then there is the danger of not being able to come back from screenblanking.

I no longer use sc in FreeBSD.  In NetBSD, I like booting into 1920x1080 video mode for console and getting 67 (?) rows and 240 columns.

1920x1080 is my monitor's native mode and recommended by the manufacturer (LG).

Tom