FreeBSD 11.1 SSD low browser performance

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Mon Nov 20 16:04:05 UTC 2017

On 11/20/2017 09:22 AM, Kenneth Hatteland wrote:
> I have a problem that annoys me and makes my desktop use painful. I have put a rather cheap Kingdian SSD into my box after my HDD seemed slow, but it did not enhance performance that much. It is when I use internet browsers the problem occurs. The browser works slow, freeze very often and video is choppy. It is from time to time impossible to switch between tabs, and graphics load painfully slow. When these things occur, the hard drive light blinks madly.
>
> When I use the machine with other software it is snappy and responsive. Music is flawless etc. So onlly when  I use firefox, Chromium or Iridium.
>
> I have been thinking perhaps something about TRIM should be set up ? Or does anyone have other clues what I can do/check ?
>

> Kenneth

It's seems doubtful this would be the disk.  Browsers work fine even
with mechanical drives.

I suggest you install htop and watch in one window while you use your
browser. You can watch who is using memory, CPU, paging activity, and
a lot of other performance related material.

Browsers are typically resource pigs and you could simply not have enough
memory or cpu to run one.