GnuPG smart card && geli

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun May 21 07:53:49 UTC 2017

On Sat, 20 May 2017 16:56:36 -0400, mfv via freebsd-questions wrote:
> > On Fri, 2017-05-19 at 18:07 RW via freebsd-questions
> > <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> >On Fri, 19 May 2017 12:15:14 -0400
> >mfv wrote:
> >

> >> Is it possible to automatically read a password/passfile during boot
> >> up from a USB memory stick without geli? If so, how?
> >
> >I've never tried mounting geli partitions at boot time but I would
> >image you could do it by mounting the stick from fstab and passing the
> >appropriate flag in rc.conf.

> Hello RW,
>
> Thanks for this useful suggestion.  It seems feasible for my skill
> level.
>
> I know enough of FreeBSD to edit fstab but am not clear about the
> specific settings in rc.conf.

I think this pointer is related to the "mount early" and "mount late"
mechanisms. The distinction can be made with the "late" option in
/etc/fstab, and "boot time" ("mount early") is the opposite. ;-)

> As I am not interested in using geli I looked in /etc/defaults/rc.conf
> for an appropriate setting but could not find anything that could be
> used. Did I miss something?  If not, does that mean I have to roll my
> own rc script and place it in /usr/local/etc/rc.d?

A custom rc.d-style script would provide good contron over _when_
the mount operation should take place. If you want to mount something
after normal system startup, you can use /etc/rc.local for scripting.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany