GnuPG smart card && geli

mfv mfv at bway.net
Sat May 20 20:56:45 UTC 2017

> On Fri, 2017-05-19 at 18:07 RW via freebsd-questions
> <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>On Fri, 19 May 2017 12:15:14 -0400
>mfv wrote:
>

>> Is it possible to automatically read a password/passfile during boot
>> up from a USB memory stick without geli? If so, how?
>
>I've never tried mounting geli partitions at boot time but I would
>image you could do it by mounting the stick from fstab and passing the
>appropriate flag in rc.conf.

Hello RW,

Thanks for this useful suggestion.  It seems feasible for my skill
level.

I know enough of FreeBSD to edit fstab but am not clear about the
specific settings in rc.conf.

As I am not interested in using geli I looked in /etc/defaults/rc.conf
for an appropriate setting but could not find anything that could be
used. Did I miss something?  If not, does that mean I have to roll my
own rc script and place it in /usr/local/etc/rc.d?

Cheers ...

Marek