Printer advice

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Sun May 14 08:34:53 UTC 2017

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller6722 at twc.com> wrote:
My luck with HP has been bad, enough to dissuade me from buying any more HP products. I have HP LaserJet Professional M1212nf MFP, and the first several attempts were fruitless, in both NetBSD and FreeBSD. I finally got it to print in NetBSD through cups with a special PPD file, think FreeBSD might also work with the same PPD file. Only Ethernet worked, USB didn't. I am rebuilding FreeBSD installations after getting nonbootable results updating NetBSD (version 7.99.71 of current branch). Then I intend to rebuild many packages including cups and hplip. I never got scanning or fax from computer to work. One adverse factor is the need for a proprietary binary plugin. I was on Xerox website and more favorably impressed, but didn't buy the printer because I already have that HP multifunction printer.

Have you tried using the printer with hplip ? hplip gives you every single HP function available and usually works very well.