Printer advice

Thomas Mueller mueller6722 at twc.com
Sun May 14 08:06:04 UTC 2017

from Chris Hill:

> I wonder if anyone can offer advice on a new printer. My old HP 4550N has
> finally given up the ghost after more than 16 years of semi-faithful service.

> I'm looking for a color laser printer with ethernet interface and Postscript
> comprehension. I'm currently looking at the HP M553n and the Xerox Phaser
> 6515DN, but if you have other suggestions, ideas, caveats... I'd love to hear
> them. Thanks.

My luck with HP has been bad, enough to dissuade me from buying any more HP products.

I have HP LaserJet Professional M1212nf MFP, and the first several attempts were fruitless, in both NetBSD and FreeBSD.

I finally got it to print in NetBSD through cups with a special PPD file, think FreeBSD might also work with the same PPD file.

Only Ethernet worked, USB didn't.

I am rebuilding FreeBSD installations after getting nonbootable results updating NetBSD (version 7.99.71 of current branch).

Then I intend to rebuild many packages including cups and hplip.

I never got scanning or fax from computer to work.

One adverse factor is the need for a proprietary binary plugin.

I was on Xerox website and more favorably impressed, but didn't buy the printer because I already have that HP multifunction printer.

Tom