X11 and ezjails

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Mar 31 17:39:42 UTC 2017

FreeBSD-11.0

I would like to run gvim in an X11 window over ssh to a jailed
instance created with ezjail.  I have set sshd_config in the jail to
allow X11Forwarding and I am connecting with 'ssh -Y jail.domain.tld'

However, when I log into the jail and run gvim then I see this:

# gvim
E233: cannot open display
Press ENTER or type command to continue

E852: The child process failed to start the GUI

I have run into this before and have attempted to apply all of the
previous remedies but nothing seems to work.  Is there anything about
jails themselves that would prevent X11 forwarding?

Has anyone accomplished what I am trying to do?  If so then how was it
done?

Canada  L8E 3C3

Canada  L8E 3C3