Building my own poudriere build system

Bradley T. Hughes bhughes at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 26 06:11:35 UTC 2017

> On 24 Jun 2017, at 14:28, Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> The main problem I face at this stage is that creating the ARMv6
> jail for crossbuilding already takes 1-2 hours each time I spin
> up the instance. Each time I deploy the infrastructure the jails
> I use for building must be created again. I already tried storing
> the jails on S3 too, but that's not really a time saver...

Indeed. It's pretty quick to install the release jails, but the armv6 ones take a long time. I recently switched to using a spot instance, but I haven't gotten around to building armv6 jails yet.

> So, my new idea is to attach an additional *permanent* EBS drive
> that can be re-attached each time a new EC2 instance is deployed.
> On the EBS there is a ZFS filesystem that stores the jails. This
> will generate additional costs but should be a huge time saver.

Yes, I have done this as well, so that if/when the spot instance gets terminated, I don't loose everything off the machine.

>> Thanks for sharing! I'm glad I'm not the only one using EC2 for
>> building ports :)
>
> Yes, great to see that I am not alone with that approach too. :-)
> Feel free to contribute if you find time (in my next commit I'll
> add a proper license).

I certainly will. :)

--
Bradley T. Hughes