Building my own poudriere build system

Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff stdin at niklaas.eu
Sat Jun 24 12:28:15 UTC 2017

Bradley T. Hughes [2017-06-23 08:01 +0200] :

> I build in the cloud. Like you, I use an EC2 instance with
> poudriere and multiple versions of jails to test
> changes/patches. I haven't gone as far as to copy the packages
> to S3, though. My builder is running 24/7, and I've been using
> spot instances to keep the cost down despite using an
> m4.2xlarge.

I haven't thought about spot instances yet. They would be great
to further reduce costs. Thanks for sharing the idea!

> I like your Terraform skeleton. I have often wanted to do
> something similar, but never gotten around to it. I am curious
> how far you will be able to take it.

I would really like to get to the point that the EC2 instance is
only up and running (creating costs) when it builds ports.
I don't have to create packages that regularly, maybe 2-5 times
per month, thus paying for a powerful instance 24/7 really
doesn't make sense.

The main problem I face at this stage is that creating the ARMv6
jail for crossbuilding already takes 1-2 hours each time I spin
up the instance. Each time I deploy the infrastructure the jails
I use for building must be created again. I already tried storing
the jails on S3 too, but that's not really a time saver...

So, my new idea is to attach an additional *permanent* EBS drive
that can be re-attached each time a new EC2 instance is deployed.
On the EBS there is a ZFS filesystem that stores the jails. This
will generate additional costs but should be a huge time saver.

> Thanks for sharing! I'm glad I'm not the only one using EC2 for
> building ports :)

Yes, great to see that I am not alone with that approach too. :-)
Feel free to contribute if you find time (in my next commit I'll
add a proper license).

    Niklaas