Advice on kernel panics

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 10:07:38 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 1:27 AM, Raimo Niskanen <
raimo+freebsd at erix.ericsson.se> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 12:10:30AM -0500, Doug McIntyre wrote:
> > On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 11:20:43AM +0200, Raimo Niskanen wrote:
> > > I have a server that panics about every 3 days and need some advice on
> how
> > > to handle that.
> >
> > I'd expect it is some sort of hardware failure, as I would expect
> > kernel panics more on the order of once a decade with FreeBSD. Ie.
> > I've seen one or two on my hundred or so servers, but its pretty rare.
> >
> > Check and recheck your hardware items.
>
> I have removed one of four memory capsules - panicked again.  Will rotate
> through all of them...
>

> > Runup memtest86+. Check your drive hardware, turn on SMART checking.
>
> I have run memtest86+ over night - no errors found.
>
> I have installed smartmontools - no errors found, short and long self tests
> on both disks run fine.  zpool scrub repaired 0 errors and has no known
> data
> errors.
>

> Any further hints on how to "Check your drive hardware"?
>

> Thank you for your advice.
> --

> f <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>

Also check cables , because , sometimes , some connector parts are not
transmitting data properly .
Another possibility may be a faulty executable binary because some bits may
be changed in place .
Another possibility may be power level ( Watts ) of power supply  : Adding
some new hardware part(s) may exceed capacity of existing power supply :
When executed programs require more power , due to insufficient power level
, circuits may be corrupted .

If it is possible , by removing connectors of existing HDDs and installing
a new OS on a spare disk may show possibility of modified binary existence
.

If the new install is not panicking , then existing installed parts may
have defective parts .
If the new install is also panicking , then your hardware ( for example ,
main board , circuits in main board
) has some trouble  points .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk