Advice on kernel panics

Raimo Niskanen raimo+freebsd at erix.ericsson.se
Thu Jun 1 08:32:09 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 12:10:30AM -0500, Doug McIntyre wrote:
> On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 11:20:43AM +0200, Raimo Niskanen wrote:
> > I have a server that panics about every 3 days and need some advice on how
> > to handle that.
>
> I'd expect it is some sort of hardware failure, as I would expect
> kernel panics more on the order of once a decade with FreeBSD. Ie.
> I've seen one or two on my hundred or so servers, but its pretty rare.
>
> Check and recheck your hardware items.

I have removed one of four memory capsules - panicked again.  Will rotate
through all of them...

> Runup memtest86+. Check your drive hardware, turn on SMART checking.

I have run memtest86+ over night - no errors found.

I have installed smartmontools - no errors found, short and long self tests
on both disks run fine.  zpool scrub repaired 0 errors and has no known data
errors.

Any further hints on how to "Check your drive hardware"?

Thank you for your advice.