Unable to mount USB Flash memory created on CentOS

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Jul 29 09:03:36 UTC 2017

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 17:09:01 -0400, James B. Byrne wrote:
> # mount -t ext2fs -o ro /dev/da0s1 /mnt/usb01
> # mount -t ext2fs -o ro /dev/da1s1 /mnt/usb02
>
> These both work on the second and third usb stick, the ones whose
> insertion seemed to trigger the problem.

Okay, good!

> This is the backup stick which was already inserted and mounted when
> the problem started:
>
> # gpart list da0
> Geom name: da0
> modified: false
> state: OK
> fwheads: 255
> fwsectors: 63
> last: 122915327
> first: 63
> entries: 4
> scheme: MBR
> Providers:
> 1. Name: da0s1
>    Mediasize: 62928519168 (59G)
>    Sectorsize: 512
>    Stripesize: 0
>    Stripeoffset: 4128768
>    Mode: r0w0e0
>    attrib: active
>    rawtype: 12
>    length: 62928519168
>    offset: 4128768
>    type: !12
>    index: 1
>    end: 122915327
>    start: 8064
> Consumers:
> 1. Name: da0
>    Mediasize: 62932647936 (59G)
>    Sectorsize: 512
>    Mode: r0w0e0
>

> So what is type !12?  How would I mount it?

As I said in a previous message: That entry looks damaged, and
you probably cannot mount it anymore. Maybe recovery is possible
using native Linux programs, I suggest you give it a try.

In worst case, re-initialize the file system (at the price of
data loss, of course).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany