Has anyone had any success installing VirtualBox extension pack under FreeBSD ?

Grégory Reinbold gregory at nosheep.fr
Thu Jul 27 21:00:06 UTC 2017

On 27/07/2017 05:17, Manish Jain wrote:

> On 07/26/17 15:13, Grégory Reinbold wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Did you try it?
>> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/virtualization-guest-virtualbox.html
>>

>> On 26/07/2017 11:16, Manish Jain wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would, possibly like many others, like to install VirtualBox extension
>>> pack under FreeBSD. Currently, the VB::USB situation is so messy that no
>>> device other than keyboard/mouse work, not even as OHCI.
>>>
>>> I tried to open a discussion for this at VB forums :
>>>
>>> https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=83928
>>>
>>> There response is so pathetic that it essentially leaves no hope.
>>>
>>> The only hope seems to be hacking the extension packing with the
>>> Linuxulator, getting the extension pack to think that the OS actually is
>>> Linux. Has anyone had any success with such an approach / something
>>> else ?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any pointers.
>>> Manish Jain
> Hi Gregory,
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
> I think the URL you referred to caters essentially to Guest utilities.
> Not to FreeBSD host in general, and in particular USB functionality
> under the host in particular.
>
> While my VB post got a lot of evasive/contradictory statements from the
> VB developers (stuff like initial assertion - later corrected - that VB
> extension pack is not platform specific), one interesting statement of
> the folks there is that OHCI functionality is provided out-of-the box
> and not platform-specific implementation.
>
> Since OHCI only works for keyboard/mouse under FreeBSD, is it possible
> that FreeBSD porters actually disable OHCI at our end (in the process of
> porting the VB sources for FreeBSD) ?
>
> Thanks for any information.
> Manish Jain

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/virtualization-host-virtualbox.html#virtualization-virtualbox-usb-support

TheVirtualBox™extension pack is not available for FreeBSD hosts. Without
the extension pack, the FreeBSD host cannot passUSBports through to
guest operating systems.

So, on VB website we can see this:
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#intro-installing

And we can download the extension pack here:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.1.26/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.1.26-117224.vbox-extpack

So, how to install it? Maybe this can help you?
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#vboxmanage-extpack

--
Grégory Reinbold