Has anyone had any success installing VirtualBox extension pack under FreeBSD ?

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 27 03:17:39 UTC 2017

On 07/26/17 15:13, Grégory Reinbold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Did you try it?
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/virtualization-guest-virtualbox.html
>

> On 26/07/2017 11:16, Manish Jain wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would, possibly like many others, like to install VirtualBox extension
>> pack under FreeBSD. Currently, the VB::USB situation is so messy that no
>> device other than keyboard/mouse work, not even as OHCI.
>>
>> I tried to open a discussion for this at VB forums :
>>
>> https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=83928
>>
>> There response is so pathetic that it essentially leaves no hope.
>>
>> The only hope seems to be hacking the extension packing with the
>> Linuxulator, getting the extension pack to think that the OS actually is
>> Linux. Has anyone had any success with such an approach / something
>> else ?
>>
>> Thanks for any pointers.
>> Manish Jain

Hi Gregory,

Thanks for replying.

I think the URL you referred to caters essentially to Guest utilities.
Not to FreeBSD host in general, and in particular USB functionality
under the host in particular.

While my VB post got a lot of evasive/contradictory statements from the
VB developers (stuff like initial assertion - later corrected - that VB
extension pack is not platform specific), one interesting statement of
the folks there is that OHCI functionality is provided out-of-the box
and not platform-specific implementation.

Since OHCI only works for keyboard/mouse under FreeBSD, is it possible
that FreeBSD porters actually disable OHCI at our end (in the process of
porting the VB sources for FreeBSD) ?

Thanks for any information.
Manish Jain