boot from second disk

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Jan 31 22:01:35 UTC 2017

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017, Sergey Matveychuk wrote:

> I set up FreeBSD 11.0 on first disk and next I added second disk and I want
> to do a mirror remotely.
> I followed instructions on
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/geom-mirror.html
> With one difference: I use GPT partitions

gmirror(8) is incompatible with GPT.  Both put their metadata at the end
of a disk.  There are ugly ways of mirroring partitions, but it is not
worth it.  Unless the disks are larger than 2TB, create an MBR/disklabel
layout as shown in the Handbook. If the disks are larger than 2TB, use a
ZFS mirror.

If the first disk has been set up correctly with bootcode, that will all
be mirrored to the second disk when the mirror is created. So the system
will be able to boot from either disk.