A lot of mbufs allocated

Radek Krejča radek.krejca at starnet.cz
Tue Jan 31 19:05:30 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have problem with freezing FreeBSD boxes with PF on [zone: mbuf_cluster] kern.ipc.nmbclusters limit reached last two months. But theres no evidence (or I dont know, what I have to check yet) of huge traffic. If I can connect to server yet, I can see, that clusters are really exhausted:

206604/6681/213285 mbufs in use (current/cache/total)
206603/3697/210300/250866 mbuf clusters in use (current/cache/total/max)
206603/3640 mbuf+clusters out of packet secondary zone in use (current/cache)

But why? How I can check what consume this memory? netstat -an, pfctlss -ss shows nothing unusual. What I can check else?

Another question - there are sins that freebsd 10.3 has different access to manage memory clusters, as I can see on graphs over snmp.

And last strange difference between 10.1 and 10.3 on graphs. First is the same hardware, but freebsd 10.1, second 10.3.

https://postimg.org/image/5i7izm6rx/
https://postimg.org/image/j0efbwix9/

What else can I check?

Thank you very much.