How to capture console messages during boot?

John Howie john at thehowies.com
Wed Jan 25 04:06:30 UTC 2017

Hi David,

Depending on your hardware, you can use a serial port as the console. If you are running on a server-class machine (from DELL or HP, for example), you should check the BIOS for this setting. Of course, you then need a serial cable and another machine to connect from. Also, depending on your equipment, using a serial port as console might disable the graphics/keyboard/mouse, meaning you get false errors/lack of errors.

Another extremely low-tech solution is simply to use your phone to record the boot sequence, and replay and pause the video. Simply point at screen and start filming! I must admit to having done that a few times...

Regards,

John