Shutdown from WindowMaker when using Xdm

Heikki Lindholm holindho at saunalahti.fi
Fri Jan 20 20:46:59 UTC 2017

20.1.2017, 22.17, Marco Beishuizen kirjoitti:
> Hi,
>
> What is a good and clean way to shutdown the system from a windowmanager
> (in my case WindowMaker), and using xdm? I did add a menuitem containing
> "shutdown -p now", but then WM sometimes coredumps. So I get the
> impression that this method isn't the best way to do it. Just exiting
> the WM is possible, but then the system exits to the login screen,
> without the possibility of shutting down from there.
>
> So is there a clean way of shutting down from WM?

Cannot answer that, but just set up a GNUstep environment with
WindowMaker myself. I used wdm instead of xdm and it has the option to
shutdown and reboot, although you have to enable them from the config file.

If exiting the wm always implies shutdown for you, maybe adding shutdown
-p to your .xsession after the wm exits would work.

-- Heikki Lindholm