Second attempt at FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-i386, Xorg, and Xfce graphical desktop

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Jan 19 17:53:10 UTC 2017

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017, David Christensen wrote:

> 1.  Erase system drive.

Not necessary, but does no harm.

> 5.  Based upon xorg package notes, create
> /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-fonts.conf:
>
> toor at freebsd:/root # cat /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-fonts.conf
> # Recommended by xorg package:
> Section "Files"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/local/share/fonts/dejavu/"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
> 	Load  "freetype"
> EndSection

This probably needs updates, but also probably does no harm.

> 6.  Per handbook section 5.4.3, edit /boot/loader.conf:
>
> toor at freebsd:/root # diff /boot/loader.conf-20170114-1232 /boot/loader.conf
> 13a14
>> kern.vty=vt

Should be the default for FreeBSD 10.x, but does no harm(TM).

> 7.  Install Xfce:
>
> toor at freebsd:/root # pkg install xfce
>
> (Based upon xfce package notes, the file I previously created for polkit
> based upon package installation notes was for Suspend, not for Shut Down and
> Restart.  Forget it -- Shut Down and Restart can work without it.)

This step is a little unclear.

> 9. Create D-Bus machine identifier:
>
> toor at freebsd:/root # dbus-uuidgen --ensure=/etc/machine-id

I have never done this and do not have that file.

> 10. Enable Xfce Shut Down and Restart by starting dbus and hald at system
> boot:
>
> toor at freebsd:/root # diff /etc/rc.conf-20170114-1648 /etc/rc.conf
> 12a13,14
>> dbus_enable="YES"
>> hald_enable="YES"

It is possible to build the ports with hal disabled.

> 11. Edit startx to silence xauth warning about missing serverauth:
>
> toor at freebsd:/usr/local/bin # diff startx-20170111-1934-orig startx
> 182c182
> <     xauth -q -f "$xserverauthfile" << EOF
> ---
>>     touch $xserverauthfile; xauth -q -f "$xserverauthfile" << EOF

I have never done this, either.

> 12. Add Xfce settings to silence xfce4-session warnings "No GPG agent found"
> and "SSH authentication agent is already running":

Never did this, either. Might be due to xfce4-session trying to
automatically start services that are already running. That is
configurable.

> 13. Install xscreensaver to enable Panel -> Action Buttons -> Lock Screen and
> Application Menu -> Settings -> Screensaver.

Optional, but okay.