issues upgrading from 10.1-RELEASE to 11-RELEASE

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 18 06:55:27 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 04:21:54PM +1100, Yudi V wrote:
> hi
>
> I tried updating from 10.1 to 11-RELEASE, did not go well.
<snip>

Looks like the base system update went OK.

> after reboot, logged in and tried:
> $ screen
> Shared object "libelf.so.1" not found, required by "screen"
> SAMBA failed sanity check,

> $ pkg update
> Shared object "libssl.so.7" not found, required by "pkg"
<snip>
> Before I go ahead and replace the base system files, I would like to know
> what went wrong.

It looks like all your problems are with *ports*.

After a major version update it is *strongly recommended* that you first
*delete* all ports/packages and then update your ports tree and re-install
them. This because of shared library version updates.

You can do this by making a list of all "leaf" packages (before deleting); packages that
have dependencies but are not depended on with this command:

    pkg query -e '%#r == 0' '%n-%v\t%o'

This will list the current package name and origin. Save that to a file and
keep it

After you've made this list, delete all packages and re-install all leaf
packages.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)