issues upgrading from 10.1-RELEASE to 11-RELEASE

Sergei Akhmatdinov sakhmatd at riseup.net
Wed Jan 18 05:57:15 UTC 2017

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 16:21:54 +1100
Yudi V <yudi.tux at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried updating from 10.1 to 11-RELEASE, did not go well.
> current system:
> [snip]
> Before I go ahead and replace the base system files, I would like to know
> what went wrong.
> because I cloned the OS filesystem, I can go back and re-do it properly if
> the problem was at my end.
> Any suggestions?
> or should I log a PR?

My guess is that your binaries were compiled for 10.X, but 11.0 overwrote the
required shared libraries, so now the old binaries cannot find them.

Do core utilities (ls/cd/man and such) work?

Try upgrading all of your packages after your install the kernel and reboot,
but before you install the world (userland). It doesn't look like you did that,
judging by your message.

I am not sure that blindly extracting base into your FS would really fix things.

You *may* be able to get away with fixing pkg and upgrading your system as it
is now.
Otherwise, I am certain that rebuilding all installed packages from ports would
fix things.

Cheers,
--
Sergei Akhmatdinov

My GPG public key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys AD800D99