tunneling ports

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Fri Jan 13 10:46:50 UTC 2017

On 13 January 2017 at 11:13, Christoph Kukulies <kuku at kukulies.org> wrote:
> I don't know if this could be easily achieved, but imagine the situation that you are in a network and the only ports being allowed for outgoing traffic into the Internet are ports 80 and 443.
>
> Now you would like to access mailservers in the Internet to read your Email. Ports 993, 587, 465,25. 22 wiuld be desirable,too.
>
> What I have is an outside server into which I could tunnel.
>
> Is there any piece of software allowing me to divert ports into the outside server through some kind of server?

Well well... somebody's trying to circumvent their netadmin's
firewalls are they not ?

It is not my place to question your motives, all I can offer is
technical advice along with a warning.

Warning first, these restrictions are in place for a reason,
circumventing them puts both your employer's infrastructure and your
work contract at risk.

Technical advice now, get an OpenSSH server listening on port 443, and
tunnel your ports over SSH.
>From that point, you can do whatever you like.

A quick google search yields the following examples :
http://blog.trackets.com/2014/05/17/ssh-tunnel-local-and-remote-port-forwarding-explained-with-examples.html

If your netadmin has somewhat advanced measures in place such as a
transparent SSL proxy, you will get caught.
And if I caught you doing that, I'd nuke your account on the spot.
Just FYI ;)