tunneling ports

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Fri Jan 13 10:46:17 UTC 2017

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 11:13:07 +0100
Christoph Kukulies <kuku at kukulies.org> wrote:

> I don't know if this could be easily achieved, but imagine the situation
> that you are in a network and the only ports being allowed for outgoing
> traffic into the Internet are ports 80 and 443.

	Sounds like a tightly controlled work network.

> Now you would like to access mailservers in the Internet to read your
> Email. Ports 993, 587, 465,25. 22 wiuld be desirable,too.

	Presumably not to the network admins or owners.

> What I have is an outside server into which I could tunnel.
>
> Is there any piece of software allowing me to divert ports into the
> outside server through some kind of server?

	You could run sshd on port 80 or port 443 on the server and use ssh
-D to act as a SOCKS proxy.

	You could run a VPN on 80 or 443 on the server but you probably
don't have permissions to run the client and even if you do you're almost
certainly compromising network security and risking getting fired for it.

	However some companies proxy and re-encode HTTPS traffic on port
443 and block it on port 80 which will prevent a VPN or ssh tunnel from
working.

	The best thing is not to attempt to use the restricted network for
private purposes (which is almost certainly not permitted) but instead use
your cellphone's data feed.

	OTOH if you think you should be allowed to do what you intend to do
then get permission and access from the network admins.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>