passing -t to newsyslog

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 22 09:46:51 UTC 2017

On 02/22/17 03:19, Adam Vande More wrote:
> There is no law preventing you from editing /etc/crontab.  I imagine that
> bit of advice is there so the system's crontab isn't broken.

The advice about 'not editing /etc/crontab' is mostly so that people
will prefer to use individual per-user crontabs which are much cleaner
to manage, especially if you're using a configuration management system
like puppet or ansible.  It does also provide a neat separation between
the 'system' cron jobs and user cron jobs as you say.

Despite the advice, if what you need to achieve requires editing
/etc/crontab, then go ahead and edit /etc/crontab.

	Cheers,

	Matthew