display base/pkg build options

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Feb 7 15:07:08 UTC 2017

On Mon, February 6, 2017 19:20, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 06/02/2017 21:23, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
>> How does one view which options were used to build a particular
>> application either in the base OS or as a pkg?  At the moment I am
>> concerned with ntpd which is in the base so pkg has nothing to say.
>
> It's only ports that have OPTIONS as such.  The base system generally
> has one preferred way of building an application, possibly with flags
> you can set in src.conf to enable or disable building it in its
> entirety.
>
> To see the options a port was built with:
>
>    pkg query "%Ok => %Ov" pkgname
>
> (or pkg info -f pkgname, but that shows a lot more than just options.)
>
> Programs imported into base, like ntpd, generally have mechanisms like
> autoconf stripped out, and are built to pre-defined settings.  In the
> case of ntpd, this is what there is:
>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.sbin/ntp/config.h?revision=308957&view=markup
>
> (that's from the latest HEAD revision as of this writing -- you
> can find the equivalent of any of the release branches by plunking
> around in that repository.  It's unlikely to be very different
> on any of the currently supported release branches though.)

Thank you again.  Is it correct to infer from these lines from the
provided reference that the __ ntpsigndsocket __ setting is supported
in /etc/ntp.conf?

1415 	/* Path to sign daemon rendezvous socket */
1416 	#define NTP_SIGND_PATH "/var/run/ntp_signd"

I previously set this in /etc/ntp.conf without error, but that does
not mean that it is recognised:

# grep ntpsigndsocket /etc/ntp.conf
ntpsigndsocket  /usr/local/samba/var/lib/ntp_signd/

Canada  L8E 3C3