vt(4) iso-8859-1 latin accentuated characters do not show on console

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Mon Dec 11 17:34:54 UTC 2017

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 14:28:52 +0000
Vitalio D <v.dol_s at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running 11.1-STABLE snapshot from November. By default my vty driver
> is vt(4) as seen from sysctl kern.vty
> kern.vty=vt
>
> I've tried to configure french keyboard so to be able to see and type
> accentuated characters, but could not succeed.
>
> I've amended ~/.login_conf with
> me:\
>     :charset=ISO-8859-1:\
>    :lang=fr_FR.ISO-8859-1:

	The vt terminal only supports UTF-8 and will display UTF-8 text
correctly no matter what the locale settings are.

	For typing you'll have to select an appropriate keyboard map that
supports typing accented characters, with us.acc.kbd the compose mechanism
works.

> So my question is: should i file a bug ?

	Only if there's a problem with using the vt console as a UTF-8
terminal.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>