FreeBSD 11.1 xen trying to create linux domU instance

Frank Leonhardt frank2 at fjl.co.uk
Thu Aug 24 10:10:26 UTC 2017

Hi James,

As you might have discovered, the handbook article is wrong on a few
points (mainly omissions I think). Hang in there; it does actually work.
I'm running Windoze using it perfectly well.

First question - I thought that too. Every time it boots you look to
check the setting and it's turned of "off", right? Well it isn't. Unless
you look. It boots the xen kernel anyway if you just leave it. I think
the 4th stuff loads defaults when you open that options menu.

The handbook tells you to create a ZFS zvol for the virtual HD. I'm not
keen on that idea for all sorts of reasons (mainly CoW) and use a file
instead.

I can't see anything wrong with your config assuming the specific stuff
is correct. To help in debugging, comment out (with a #) the vif line.
You DON'T need this for the VNC viewer to connect. (And you may have
noticed that the autobridge stuff in rc.conf doesn't play anyway).

The disk definition is very flexible. I think your way of doing it is
fine, except that you're re-specifying some default values for no
reason. xl barfs at the slightest problem, so the syntax is probably good.

The next I'd try would be to use a straightforward file instead of the
zvol. I just create them using dd to the size I want and it "just works".

One non-obvous thing is that "hda" means Hard Disk 'A'. hdc means C.
What about hdb? It doesn't matter if you leave a gap, but unless you
realise this you'll have chaos and confusion when to define extra disks.

You ARE running xl as root, aren't you?

Regards, Frank.