A few questions about graphics chipsets

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 7 15:52:00 UTC 2017

On Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 10:40:15AM +0000, Manish Jain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am writing a system configuration script for FreeBSD, for which I need
> to know a few things about the major graphics chipsets and their drivers.
>
> 1) AMD - My own box is Radeon (R5 230), driven by radeon (+radeonkms).
> I now see that there is a separate driver amdgpu. Is this inter-operable
> with radeon. That is to say, can a user choose either one to drive X
> under FreeBSD ?

For AMD identification, start at
https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/#Decoder_ring_for_engineering_vs_marketing_names

Everything up to Sea Islands uses the radeon driver.  The amdgpu is
for the newest chipsets (Volcanic Islands).

ĸen
--
I live in a city. I know sparrows from starlings.  After that
everything is a duck as far as I'm concerned.  -- Monstrous Regiment