Is it possible to install FreeBSD on a single MBR slice with ZFS ?

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sat Apr 15 22:49:45 UTC 2017

On 04/15/2017 02:55 AM, Manish Jain wrote:
> I always use freebsd-ufs for my installations. But I am interested in
> trying freebsd-zfs. My box has a single hard disk, an SSD with 4 MBR slices.
>
>  From what I could gather from the installer, it is not possible to use
> freebsd-zfs for / for a single slice. It looks to me like ZFS needs the
> whole disk.
>
> Am I wrong ? Is there any way I can get the installer to use ZFS for a
> single slice.

AFAIK, the FreeBSD 11.0 installer wants the whole disk if I choose:

     Partitioning                    Auto (ZFS)

My solution was to buy a 16 GB SSD.  Once installed, I moved the image
onto a larger drive.  This seems to work with just a basic install.
(Previous attempts to move an image with Xfce resulted in broken Xfce.)

David